Saturday, September 15, 2007

Johnny, I'll miss you


Johnny was well known to me – 51 but looked 75. Had that rough, tough, bad boy look - the kind that mom would have warned you about - aged and hard, but still sort of attractive. A true Marlboro man.
Used to have a decent job, a local school custodian. Somewhere along the line Johnny pretty much lost everything including his family and an ok life. An adult son with some serious mental issues that took a toll on Johnny. He with degenerative disc disease of the spine and a penchant for Vicodin and tobacco.
Johnny was “found down”, brought into the ER intubated. Spent some time in PEA and after taking a needle to the heart was deemed “critical” and waiting in line for his CCU bed but probably brain dead.. Urine tox screen came back positive for meth, cocaine and barbiturates. No Vicodin??? Johnny, what have you done?

You would visit me at the free clinic for your monthly quota of Vicodin. Charming me to convince me how much you needed them for your back. Always a smile, inquire about how I was doing. When I was dealing with a raging lunatic one busy Monday - you came out of your exam room to make sure I was ok. You so gallantly "saved me" when you saw me on the road, walking my bike with a very flat tire in 90 degree heat - givng me a ride to the hospital. I am so sad, I really did like you. I wanted so bad for you to be one of the few that "get better". I will miss you, Johnny.

No comments: